Horrible artifacts in Fedora 12 and Google Earth! (fail)

François Cami fcami at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jan 20 13:21:19 UTC 2010

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 11:55:38 +0100
Valent Turkovic <valent.turkovic at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 9:56 AM, François Cami <fcami at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> >> How do I turnoff hardware rendering in X?
> >
> > You can set the LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE environment variable just before
> > starting your programs:
> > LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 <program>

> Thank you François for sharing your knowledge, this helped. Google
> Earth starts and works without any visual artefacts, but is,
> understandably, slow.

You are welcome :)

What you could do... is to search bugzilla.redhat.com for any similar bug
(on the exact same hardware as yours).
If you can't find any similar looking bug, please:
* boot with the drm.debug=15 parameter
* open a new bug report at bugzilla.redhat.com
* describe the problem (screenshots may help)
* attach the following two files: /var/log/dmesg and /var/log/Xorg.0.log
This would ensure that the problem is tracked.

Cheers