Java and Chrome/Chromium [SOLVED]

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 13:08:24 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-01-18 at 19:52 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-01-18 at 15:03 -0500, Mail Lists wrote:
> > On 01/18/2010 02:17 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > > erase both - then re-install the 64 bit one.
> > >
> > > That's what I did.
> >
> >   Mystery - did you unload all 32 bit extensions too ?
>
> No, and that's an interesting idea, but for now I'm just going to stick
> with 32-bit Chrome and Sun Java.

It took me a good deal of Googling but I finally managed it. Here's the
cheatsheet if anyone else wants to try:

1) Download the current 32-bit Java rpm from Sun and install.
2) ln -s /usr/java/jre<version>/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so /opt/google/chrome/plugins
(this was the clue hardest to find, I wasted a lot of time trying libjava_xxx.so
before hitting on this.)
3) Restart Chrome.
4) Visit a Java page.
5) Wait while Java tells you it's updating applets for SE 6 (presumably
depends on what Java you were using before). This actually failed
(aborted) multiple times before finally working, possibly because of
server timeouts.

Note: all the above seems to disable Java in my existing 64-bit Firefox
implementation. I don't know what needs to be done to have both Javas
working at once, but for now I'm fine with it.

poc