Demand for LUKS password blocks boot

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu Jan 21 15:32:51 UTC 2010

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
> On 01/21/2010 09:40 AM, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
>
>>> From:
>>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Dracut/Options#crypto_LUKS
>>>
>>> Pass: rd_NO_LUKS to your kernel boot line.
>>>
>> But that doesn't seem to help if you have LUKS devices that you do want
>> activated during boot (I haven't tested so could have the wrong end of
>> the stick).
>>

> Read the next line of that document:
>
> rd_LUKS_UUID=<luks uuid>
> Only activate the LUKS partitions with the given UUID

What happens if you normally want a particular uuid to be activated on
boot...but there is a power fail and restore at 3am?  Wouldn't you still
be stuck with a system waiting for the password when what you may want
would be for the system to come up without that device?  Wouldn't a
rd_LUKS_timeout=<X seconds> make sense?