Demand for LUKS password blocks boot

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Thu Jan 21 15:41:49 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-01-21 at 23:32 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:

> >> But that doesn't seem to help if you have LUKS devices that you do want
> >> activated during boot (I haven't tested so could have the wrong end of
> >> the stick).
> >>

> > Read the next line of that document:
> >
> > rd_LUKS_UUID=<luks uuid>
> > Only activate the LUKS partitions with the given UUID
> >

> What happens if you normally want a particular uuid to be activated on
> boot...but there is a power fail and restore at 3am?  Wouldn't you still
> be stuck with a system waiting for the password when what you may want
> would be for the system to come up without that device?  Wouldn't a
> rd_LUKS_timeout=<X seconds> make sense?

That might not be a bad way of dealing with this. I still think it would
be nice to have a mechanism that allows e.g. devices that are not listed
in fstab nor crypttab (nor that are dependencies of any devices listed
in these places) to fail silently during booting but that will involve a
bit of work to implement and this type of option might provide a useful
safety net in the meantime.

Regards,
Bryn.