Can't find scanner - HP Deskjet F4180

Jim mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 21 16:06:27 UTC 2010

On 01/21/2010 07:11 AM, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to use the Gnome scanner tool, but it can't find the device.
>
> Googling shows that at least one person had no problems at all with this
> printer/scanner.
>
> Here is some command output:
>
> bash-4.0$ sane-find-scanner
>
>    # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
>    # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
>    # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.
>
>    # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
>    # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.
>
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [HP], product=0x7e04 [Deskjet F4100 series]) at libusb:004:005
>    # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by
>    # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.
>
>    # Not checking for parallel port scanners.
>
>    # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
>    # can't be detected by this program.
>
>    # You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
>    # found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
>    # necessary.
> bash-4.0$ scanimage -L
>
> No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
> check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
> sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
> which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
>

> What do I do now?
>
> P.S. please copy any replies to colin at colina.demon.co.uk, as I don't
> appear to be receiving mail from this list at the moment. Not sure why.

Colin here are the Instructions I use to get a number of different USB
Scanners working. These Instruction also cover setting up a Network printer.
One thing. A number of Manufacture , example, Samsung uses Xerox
scanners on their printers (All-in one)
Most Epsons I have set up uses Epson Scanners, as far as HP goes I
really don't know.
But that is going to be the sticking point.