Sane conf file for HP Deskjet F4180?

Jim mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 21 22:52:48 UTC 2010

On 01/21/2010 11:55 AM, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
> (Still not getting emails from this list, so I'm reading the
> archives. Jim, your message didn't really help, as it looks like it must
> be HP-specific. Ubuntu users seem to have no problems, but I can't find
> any fedora messages).
>
> There doesn't seem to be an appropriate .conf file for the F4180 in
> /etc/xsane.d, as far as I can tell.
> Which one is supposed to be appropriate?

Those conf files in the instructions are the correct files, for Fedora.
Until you get the Manuf , Product Id numbers into the conf files your
not going to get your Scanner to work.
Believe me these Instruction will get your Scanner working;

Do a "lsusb" with scanner hooked up and on  and you can get Vendor ,
Product ID #

# your model number here
usb 0x04e8
usb 0x342b

Put your scanner in /etc/sane.d/hp.conf , just enter your scanner like
they did the others.

"These are the instructions for setting up the Scanner"

Scanner Setup

[edit] Scanning

I have also now tested scanning on the scx-4500w now.

I installed sane-backends from updates-testing to give
sane-backends-1.0.20-4.fc10.i386

Then edited /etc/sane.d/xerox_mfp.conf to add two extra lines, according to
advice from other postings on the net since the Samsung printer was
suggested to
work with the xerox_mfp backend setup:

# Samsung SCX-4500W    (Just example names, Put your scanner name in place)
usb 0x04e8 0x342b

Then make a new file /etc/hal/fdi/information/19-libsane-scx4500w.fdi
with the
following content:

<?xml version="1.0"
encoding="UTF-8"?>
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
<device>
<match key="info.subsystem" string="usb">
<match key="usb.vendor_id" int="0x04e8">
<match key="usb.product_id" int="0x342b">
<append key="info.capabilities"
type="strlist">scanner</append>
</match>
</match>
</match>
</device>
</deviceinfo>

Then I simply fired up the GIMP and asked it to scan - it found the
scanner, and
it worked without any further setup.

Note that in F11 the scanner refused to work although printing worked as
in F10.
After a lot of fiddling around I found that there is a workaround to
what looks
like an error in the package "sane-backends-1.0.20-4.fc11.i586", and
managed to
make the scanner work again -

I found that the dll.conf files in /etc/sane.d/ were interesting.

There were two files in my system - which were: -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 916
dll.conf.rpmnew

I noted that dll.conf was dated later than dll.conf.rpmnew - and the
dll.conf
file did not include xerox_mfp, whereas the earlier dated
dll.conf.rpmnew did
include this and in my case this is needed for the driver!

So I simply did the following: mv dll.conf dll.conf.orig cp dll.conf.rpmnew
dll.conf

To make the .rpmnew version current and fired up GIMP and asked for a
scan - and
it worked just fine. I added a note to a pre-existing bugzilla report and
hopefully it will get fixed in due course.

"End Of Instructions"

These three conf files are what needs Edited.

/etc/sane.d/hp.conf  ( this file hp.conf is one, and I notice that there
are a couple of others)

/etc/sane.d/ dll.d  (this dll.d directory in mine was empty, if it the
same in your you have to do nothing here)

/etc/hal/fdi/information/19-libsane-scx4500w.fdi  ( If the
/etc/hal/fdi/information directory is not there, you will have to type
them in.,  and the script file /19-libsane-"your model number
here".fdi   , no "" to be used.

Copy and paste the script from instructions into file
/etc/hal/19-libsane-"your model number here".fdi