F12: Latest Two Kernels Won't Boot

Tony Molloy tony.molloy at ul.ie
Fri Jan 22 08:36:49 UTC 2010

On Thursday 21 January 2010 20:34:01 Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
>      Hello,
>
>   When a few weeks ago the new auto-updated kernel would not boot,
> used an older kernel, waiting for the next update. This was today, and
> now the two latest kernels don't work. Booting stops after the Fedora
> logo fills up white, after which it says (copying manually from
> screen, whitespaces probably not correct):
>
> ===
> ERROR: asr: wrong # of devices in RAID set "asr_BOOT     " [1/2] on
>  /dev/sda
>
> No root device found
>
> Boot has failed, sleeping forever
> ===
>
>   The third oldest kernel apparently boots fine. Interestingly, Google
> finds nothing for "ERROR: asr: wrong".
>
>   I am attaching grub.conf.
>
>   Thanks!
>
>      Take care
>      Oliver

I've had the same problem with the last two kernels, that is the kernels not
booting but different symptoms from you.

When I boot I get as far as the cursor flashing on the top left hand corner of
the screen and then the following error.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File ""/init", line 157 in <module>
if __name__=='__main__': main()
File "/init",line 129, in main
xo_ver=get_xo_version()
File :/init", line 84, in get_xo_version
raise Exception("Not an XO laptop?")
Exception: Not an XO laptop?
Kernel Panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init.
[drm:drm_fb_helper_panic] *ERROR* panic occurred, switching back to text
console

I've got this on several Dell machines, Latitude C660 D830. Precision
Workstation 670

Tony
--

Dept. of Comp. Sci.