F12: suddenly clicking on web links in email bodies produces errors in thunderbird, and no link is opened

Joachim Backes joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de
Fri Jan 22 13:19:54 UTC 2010

On 01/22/2010 10:54 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Joachim Backes wrote:
>> Clicking on web links located in email bodies suddenly produces error
>> log entries by thunderbird, and the links are not opened. Could this
>> be related to the todays updates?
>>
>> Jan 22 08:29:10 Updated: cairo-dock-2.1.2.4-1.fc12.i686
>> Jan 22 08:29:12 Updated: cairo-dock-plug-ins-xfce-2.1.2.4-1.fc12.i686
>>
>> Because the text can't be copied from the error console, so I've
>> attached the thunderbird error console window.
>>
>> My actual thunderbird is: thunderbird-3.0-4.fc12.i686
> My system does not have this problem.  Running fully updated F12 system
> and using KDE.
>
> I didn't have xfce or cairo installed...so I installed and tried this
> under XFCE.  Also, no problems.  This F12 system is a VMware
> guest...don't know if that my influence anything.
>
> Ed

Hi Ed,

problem solved - Reason: I downloaded firefox-3.6 for testing purposes
from mozilla to /tmp and unpacked and started it from there. My desktop
is gnome, and by this firefox start some desktop keys (accessible by
gconf-editor) were modified from /usr/bin/firefox (for.ex. URL-handler,
http, https) to /tmp/firefox/firefox (where I had the program installed).

Calling gconf-editor and re-setting the correspondent key values by

gconf-editor->desktop->gnome->url-handlers from /tmp/firefox/firefox to
/usr/bin/firefox solved my problem.

Kind regards

Joachim Backes

--