A thought on abrt

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 20:25:35 UTC 2010

I'm just filing my 3rd or 4th abrt report in as many days (for different
apps), and every time the tool downloads a whole bunch of debuginfo
packages so it can resolve symbols in coredumps. This makes perfect
sense, except that the people who will eventually look at the bug report
have just as much access to debuginfo packages as I do, and probably a
heck of a lot more bandwidth.

Given that abrt is designed to make bug-reporting easier for the average
user, I suspect a lot of b/w is being consumed by these downloads that
would not otherwise be the case. Would it not be an idea to rethink how
this is handled? By definition abrt already knows exactly which packages
are involved in the problem, so it could simply report what they are and
add the coredumps/logs/whatever.

poc