Radeon HD 5750 card on Fedora 12

Jussi Lehtola jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org
Sat Jan 23 11:11:49 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-01-23 at 10:52 +0000, Howard Wilkinson wrote:
> I have a new VTX Radeon HD 5750 card that I cannot get X to recognise as
> anything other than vesa.
>
> I have installed the mesa-dri-drivers-experimetal package but that made
> no difference. I have also tried the ati catalyst 9.12 package but that
> barfs with a missing symbol
>
> Trying to force both radeon and radeonhd does not work (at least when I
> try it).

Are you sure you have xorg-x11-drv-radeonhd installed? It isn't by
default.. Then IIRC on top of that you need to edit xorg.conf to force
the use of radeonhd instead of radeon, and disable KMS with the
"nomodeset" kernel boot argument. But it seems that 5750 is not on the
supported devices list, so your attempts are futile:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-radeonhd/plain/README

The ATI proprietary driver doesn't seem support the version of X.org in
Fedora 12 (at least there is no RPMFusion package available).

Seems like you have run out of luck :S
--
Jussi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor