F12: Latest Two Kernels Won't Boot

N James Bridge james at xmas.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 23 13:21:53 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-01-22 at 15:38 -0500, Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 5:30 AM, N James Bridge <james at xmas.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-01-21 at 15:34 -0500, Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >>   When a few weeks ago the new auto-updated kernel would not boot,
> >> used an older kernel, waiting for the next update. This was today, and
> >> now the two latest kernels don't work. Booting stops after the Fedora
> >> logo fills up white, after which it says (copying manually from
> >> screen, whitespaces probably not correct):
> >>

> > This sounds like the bug described here:
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F12_bugs#yumex-kernel-update
> >
> > You will need to uninstall the corrupted kernels and dependencies and
> > then put everything back with yum, not yumex.
>
>   I don't know anything about yumex. I usually use either yum from the
> terminal or the graphical software update. In any case, used yum to
> remove the latest two kernels and reinstall the latest one, but it
> makes no difference. Not sure what you mean by "dependencies"?

Dependencies are the things that won't work without the item to be
removed, so yum takes them out too. When I removed the kernel, yum
listed about 20 dependencies. It will take them all out but it won't put
them back when you reinstall the kernel, because they depend on the
kernel, not the other way around. So you have to do it! You can find out
what was removed by looking in /var/log/yum.log (as root).

Actually, I don't use yumex either. I just clicked 'install' on the
popup window advising me of new updates. In my case, what then happened
was that on booting, the new kernel just halted for 2 minutes to have a
think. Then it carried on as normal! Once I reinstalled the kernel the
problem disappeared.

Hope this helps.
--
N James Bridge <james at xmas.demon.co.uk>