nouveau on a kernel.org kernel not official Fedora kernel?

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 23 20:03:52 UTC 2010

Dear fellow fedora users,

I have compiled a kernel from kernel.org(2.6.30) to make a working kernel module for a dialup winmodem.  IT no longer works with 2.6.31.X or higher :(, I have successfully run it but get no working X.

I copied exactly the Fedora config for the kernel without any modifications, the kernel starts up fine, but X does not work.  I know that I can use the nvidia binary driver here, but is there an easy way to make noveau work here?

IF I boot a Fedora kernel I see

nouveau               538240  2
ttm                    34264  1 nouveau
drm_kms_helper         22700  1 nouveau
drm                   136056  4 nouveau,ttm,drm_kms_helper
i2c_algo_bit            4820  1 nouveau
i2c_core               23352  4 i2c_i801,nouveau,drm,i2c_algo_bit

In my newly compiled & installed kernel, I don't see this and I try to
# modprobe noveau
but I get something about DRM

I read here,

http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/InstallNouveau

http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/InstallDRM

but those instructions appear too complicated making me think to just install nvidia driver and forget about it.  Is there an easy way to keep nouveau running/installed on this self compiled kernel?

Thanks in Advance,

Antonio