Help: Where is the subscriber's account manager?

David bouncingcats at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 14:50:38 UTC 2010

2010/1/24 Todd Zullinger <tmz at pobox.com>:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
>> IMHO, the page itself should be redesigned a bit.
>>
>> It is possible that when some people see areas divided by bold text with
>> contrasting background they feel "/The subscribers list is only
>> available to the list administrator" /applies to all within that block
>> and stop reading.
>>
>> I feel a separate "admin only" area would be better.
>>
>> Suppose that is a bugzilla for mailman....
>
> I don't disagree that the listinfo page isn't the greatest layout ever
> (he says, hoping for a nomination in the "understatements of the year"
> category).  But I would say it's not even bugzilla material, as making
> such a large change to the mailman package defaults is beyond what
> should be expected of a Fedora packager.

Actually, mailman 2 makes it straightforward for any list
administrator to customise/improve the appearance of the info page of
their list if they choose to.

For example, see this page:
The *bottom half* of this page directly addresses the issue raised
earlier, namely it is cleaner and much less confusing (than the
default page) particularly for subscribers who want to access their
list config.

If it's useful to anyone, my html that mailman uses to generate the
lower part of that page can be downloaded from:

It contains some text specific to the target audience of that
particular list, but that could easily be removed to produce a
template that could readily be adapted to any mailman 2 list.

This html block is simply pasted by the list admin in the mailman
admin menu under "edit public html pages" - "general list info page".
I found much of the default html there to be ugly and unnecessary, and
removed it. For example, the password prompts are unnecessary, because
a default password is auto generated and emailed. Also, the admins can
access the subscribers list via the admin page so there is no need to
clutter this page with it. The radio buttons are available on the
config page.

The above two URLs content difference is due to the "info" field which
must be specified as plaintext elsewhere by the list admin, and the
footer and other mailman macros.