How to Install Nvidia and not Nouveau at New Install

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Mon Jan 25 13:35:25 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-01-24 at 22:27 -0500, Jim wrote:
> FC12-X86_64/KDE
>
> How do I prevent Nouveau driver from installing at New install , so I
> can install
> Nvidia ?

No reason not to install nouveau.  Just complete the installation,
enable the rpmfusion repo and yum install akmod-nvidia from there.

The akmod-nvidia package should do everything necessary to run
correctly, although you might need to add "rdblacklist=nouveau" to the
kernel line in /etc/grub.conf by hand.  That will prevent the nouveau
module from loading and setting the graphics mode at boot.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu