NVIDIA: no sound to TV via HDMI

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon Jan 25 23:19:45 UTC 2010

Marcel Rieux wrote:

>  ASUS EN9400GT/DI/1G (LP) GeForce 9400 GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI
> Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready

This is the first time you've indicated the actual card number....

When asked previously you said...

Q.  Who is the card manufacture?
A.   Asus.

Q.  What is the actual model number?
A.   No idea. OEM package.

> You also have the report from lspci. If can find on the net an Asus
> graphic card that's better identified, provide the URL, I'll open the
> case.

lspci is now totally irrelevant....and even if it were it doesn't tell
you "ASUS EN9400GT/DI/1G...."
> lspci told you that. Otherwise, I don't have a sound system. As I
> said, I'm trying to connect it to a TV... which like all TVs has an
> amplifier and speakers.

You don't have a sound system?  OK, maybe you misunderstand my question...

You've got to have a sound card of some sort.
> This is very plain in my first post:
>
> "The plug had a molding problem and
> one of the 4 holes was blocked. (The hole was just empty: no wire
> going to it.) I opened it with a pin, installed it with the arrow
> facing the closest part of the motherboard, reversed it, and, of
> course, sound doesn't come out of the TV."
>
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2010-January/364853.html
>

>>  or where you've
>> connected the spdif cable.
>>

> To the motherboard since that's where the sound chip is.

I just love the way you pick and chose what information to give...as if
we are supposed to know your sound chip is on the mother board.

>> You've said that one of the cables holes was
>> blocked....but many times that is quite normal.  That could be the "key
>> hole" that would prevent one from installing cable in the wrong
>> orientation.
>>

> Not a keyhole. The s/pdif out plug has 4 pins.

Just because the spdif out plug has 4 pins does not mean all pins are
used!  As a matter of fact, if the plugged hole is a "key hole" there
*will* be 4 pins on the out plug!  That is the whole (pun intended) purpose.

--
When I got up this morning I took two Ex-Lax in addition to my Prozac. I
can't get off the john, but I feel good about it.