NVIDIA: no sound to TV via HDMI

Mikkel mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Jan 26 00:07:01 UTC 2010

On 01/23/2010 10:51 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Marcel Rieux wrote:
>> Since the NVIDIA forums are just a lost of time, I'll first ask the
>> question here.
>>
>> I have an NVIDIA 9400GT card and a Sony LCD TV linked with an HDMI cable.
>>
>> First problem I found: the S/PDIF cable -- which is needed only with
>> NVIDIA cards -- wasn't installed. The plug had a molding problem and
>> one of the 4 holes was blocked. (The hole was just empty: no wire
>> going to it.) I opened it with a pin, installed it with the arrow
>> facing the closest part of the motherboard, reversed it, and, of
>> course, sound doesn't come out of the TV. It's an Nvidia product!
>>
>> Anybody got this working?
>
> Did you get PulseAudio to send output to the connector? Many times this is a PA
> config issue.

One thing to keep in mind when configuring PA to output over the
HDMI cable is that this is a digital output. The default
configuration is to use the analog output, because this is what most
people use. (Speakers hooked to the line out jack.)

PA supports both analog and digital output, but you have to select
the one you want. I am not sure if you can use both at once...

Mikkel