Anyone know how to rsync or ssh to an ftp site? (Follow on to Tar Oddity)

DB Freddog_de at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 26 12:02:49 UTC 2010

On 01/23/2010 01:24 AM, users-request at lists.fedoraproject.org wrote:
> As Patrick O'Callaghan has pointed out, the target site must be
> running an rsync daemon for you to connect with your rsync client.
> Fortunately this is usually rather simple to determine:
>
>     $ rsyncrsync://ftp.target.site  <ftp://ftp.target.site>
>

>     --or--
>
>     $ rsyncrsync://rsync.target.site  <ftp://ftp.target.site>
>

> The actual DNS name of the rsync site may take some guessing, and you
> can always use an absolute IP address if you now it. If there's an
> rsync daemon running on that site, it should respond with the contents
> of the /etc/rsyncd.conf file following the initialization section.
> Those contents will guide you to wherever the folder(s)/file(s) may be
> that you want to fetch. For example, here locally I can type:
>
>     $ rsync rsync://lion
>     pub             entire 1TB array
>     centos          Centos 5.4 mirror
>     cygwin          Cygwin mirror
>     f12             Fedora 12 General Release
>     f12_updates      Fedora 12 Updates
>     rawhide         Fedora Rawhide / Development
>

> To create or update a local mirror of the F12 Updates repository on my
> rsync server "lion" I just type:
>
>     $ rsync -acvxzHP --delete rsync://lion/pub/f12_updates/ /pub/fedora/linux/updates/12/
>

> Hope this helps.

> If all the remote site gives you is ftp, you could use either a GUI-
> based FTP client locally (such as kasablanca [KDE] or gftp [GTK])
> or a command-line batch FTP client (such as ncftp/ncftpput/ncftpget).
>
> rsync would be nice, but in a pinch.........
> - Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer ricks at nerd.com -
  Patrick, "Doc", Rick,

Thanks for your suggestions....

As Patrick said, it doesn't work - I'd rather hoped there might be a
sort of "one sided rsync" that would read the destination, do a diff on
it & upload what was needed.  Ho hum.

So I tried the various rsync suggestions & got a resounding silence as
response...

Installed Kasablanca & couldn't get it to connect... BUT, it looked so
much list Krusader (which I'd been using to do manual updates) & found
it actually has a "directory sync" in one of its menus & this has done
exactly what I hoped!

Thanks again to you all

Dave