Mail Problem.

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jan 27 00:29:59 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-01-26 at 14:05 -0700, reg at dwf.com wrote:
> Im at a loss here.
> I have 5 machines, 4 of them (should be) forwarding any mail generated
> by scripts to the 5th.
> Its not happening.
>
> When I go to the mail machine, my main machine, I can do
>
>         telnet localhost 25
>
> and it connects.  When I do the same command on the other 4 machines,
> it can not connect.

Most likely, sendmail is only *listening* to the local loopback, and not
to external network interfaces.  That's been the default for quite some
time.

> Now Im using my own sendmail.mc nad submit.mc, but have made multiple
> changes with no effect.

You should post the files so people can see what you've done.  We can
only guess, otherwise.  And many people will unwilling to even respond
until you do so.

e.g. My **old** sendmail.mc file has this in it:

  DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl

And that causes the daemon to only listen to that address.  Adding the
following line to the configuration file, just below the above one,
allows it to listen to any machine on my LAN:

  DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=192.168.1.2, Name=MTA')dnl

Be careful when opening up a mail daemon that you don't open it up to
everyone (the internet, or any others on your LAN that shouldn't have
access, etc.).  Configure the daemon to be appropriately restrictive, do
not rely on a firewall to isolate it.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686