proxy setting for pidgin

L yuanlux at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 05:19:01 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 11:45 AM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
> L wrote:

>>> Try one thing to test.
>>>
>>> Modify your gtalk account settings in the "Advanced" tab.  Uncheck
>>> "Require SSL/TLS" and Check "Allow plaintext...".
>>>
>>> If this works...then it is most likely that the proxy you are connecting
>>> with isn't configured to allow ssl.  At least that is my best guess.
>>>

>> after unchecked SSL etc, login status keeps showing connecting.... in
>> fact, just hanging there. That's not working either. thanks anyway.
>>

> Sorry could not have been of more help.  I currently don't have a proxy
> configured that I can test with.
>

> --

I figure out. this may be useful to others

Take Gtalk as my test case, I work on gnome desktop on F12

1. System -> Preferences -> Network Proxy 'directly internet
connection' checked, that means no global or system environmental
proxy setting
2. Pidgin Tools -> Preferences -> Proxy -> Configure Proxy -> 'Direct
Internet Connection' checked
3. Pidgin -> Accounts ->Add -> Google Talk
Basic tab
  Protocol: Google Talk
  Username:
  Domain: gmail.com
Advanced tab
  Require SSL/TLS check
  Force old (port 5223) ssl checked

  Connect Port: 443
  Connect Server: talk.google.com
  File transfer proxies: proxy.eu.jabber.org
Proxy tab

set you http proxy
  proxy server:
  port: