When did X go back to vt7?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Wed Jan 27 18:24:16 UTC 2010

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 12:10:17 -0430
Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> The X server traditionally ran on console vt7, till a while back someone
> decided to move it to vt1. Now that I'm used to that, they've moved it
> back to vt7 again. What's going on?

I don't know, but for me it is still vt1 (I just tried it).
I'm not using gnome or kde, just my own .xsession script.

It is still confusing though: I turn off "rhgb" in grub.conf
so I can watch for errors when I boot, but I used to be able to watch
the messages on the console when I shutdown or rebooted as well, and
now I see them for about 1/10th of a second, then it switches
somewhere else. If I boot runlevel 3, I can still see the
console messages as I'm shutting down.