Pulseaudio update is barfing

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Jan 28 01:09:40 UTC 2010

The recent update to pulseaudio-0.9.21 looks like a dud. Brief sound effects
play fine. But I have the gmail notifier Firefox plugin configured to play
/usr/share/sounds/purple/login.wav, a slightly longer sound effect, as the
new mail notification. After the pulseaudio update, Firefox gets through
about 2 or three chimes, before Firefox freezes solid.

stracing the pulseaudio process shows that it's not doing anything. Killing
the pulseaudio process unstucks Firefox. If, instead of killing pulseaudio I
kill Firefox instead, the pulseaudio process pegs itself to 100% CPU. Bad
karma.

Downgraded to pulseaudio-0.9.19, everything's ok now.

Weren't there a few intermediate releases of pulseaudio? The updates
directory seems to keep only the most recent update of each package. I
would've downgraded to the previous errata release, but there weren't none,
so I had to roll back to the initial F12 package.

Someone else already reported pulseaudio breakage in bug 559032, but later
followed up with a mea culpa thinking that it was his flash that was broken.
But I do believe that there's a pulseaudio bug here, so I provided more info
to reproduce this bug.