TV Tuner for Digital Broadcast Recommendation ?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Jan 28 01:50:01 UTC 2010

> I am wondering if anyone could give recommendation for TV tuner that would
> work with Fedora 12 and can get the over-the-air digital broadcast in the U.S.
> I don't need any fancy feature just the basic, in fact, the more inexpensive
> the better.
>
> Any recommendation ?
> I've looked around but haven't found anything useful / definite

Lots of possibilities. Hauppauge alone makes about 5 different tuners,
USB, PCI-E or PCI. A HVR950 is about $100.00 and is supported by the v4l
project. Works fine. I have one running here.

Another choice the the HDHomeRun from Silicon Dust. Comes in 2 tuner or
single tuner versions. It is an external box and talks to your computer
over the network.

If you need more information, there are a large number of pages on the
mythwiki at:  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:Video_capture_cards

describing the pros and cons of a large number of video cards, all of
which work under at least mythtv. By their nature that also means that
they will probably work with other front ends: kaffeine, xine, vlc etc.
G.