RFC about socket/cores numbers and HT info

John Aldrich jmaldrich at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 28 11:30:31 UTC 2010

On Thursday 28 January 2010, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> Hello,
> after digging around different systems (Fedora, RHEL) and mailing
> lists suggestions I arrived at this script about identifying on a
> system:
> - number of sockets
> - number of cores per socket
> - number of logical processors (so computational units) seen by OS
> - info about presence/enablement of HT if present
>
> I would like to share and ask 2 things:
> a) what about the script accuracy?
> Can you verify with your hw setup/config?
> b) Do you think there is any way to enumerate the number of physical
> sockets of a system based only on values in cpuinfo and not using
> dmidecode command? I have a system (not under my control) that
> collects nmon values only for many servers and I would like to be able
> to get the number of sockets ion them based on this info...
> In nmon output I find, other than the cpuinfo info, only something like
> AAA,cpus,4,4
> But it seems quite static where the two numerical values are identical.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Gianluca

Here's what I get on my Athlon 64 system:
[john at slave1 ~]$ ./count_cpu.sh
/dev/mem: Permission denied
Cpu Model: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
Number of Sockets: 0
Number of Cores per Socket: 2
Number of CPUs seen by OS: 2
Hyper-Threading: YES

I think that the number of sockets is off... but I can't say how to fix it.
:-)

One note: it didn't hit me immediately, but I needed to run dos2unix on it
to strip the EOL characters and make it run-able on my linux box.