F8: CPAN problem

Dan Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Fri Jan 29 21:37:12 UTC 2010

> On Thu, 2010-01-28 at 18:46 -0800, Dan Thurman wrote:
>
>> Yes, dovecot is just am IMAP server, but the problem is, that
>> sendmail by default uses the mbox format.  From what I read,
>> it says that you need procmail or other method to convert the
>> mbox format into maildir format - which is the part - that I have
>> yet to understand how this is actually done.
>>
> Sendmail uses a Mail Delivery Agent (MDA) to actually deliver mail.
> There are several of these out there, including procmail and maildrop.
> Since you can configure sendmail to pipe messages to the MDA, there's no
> question of file conversion. In your case an obvious candidate is
> Dovecot's own LDA (Local Delivery Agent). Whatever MDA you choose, you
> configure it to store messages in maildir format.
>
> You might find this helpful: http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA
>
> poc

Can you or someone give me a link or reference how to get
sendmail/dovecot-LDA/MailDir to setup maildir format?  I read
the link you provided, but it is not clear exactly, what needs to be
changed in dovecot's configuration file.  The link on explains
how to get LDA working (the simplest being the user's .forward
file with: '| "/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver"'), but does not say
anything about how to set up the 'mail location' as to where the
user's maildir might actually be converted/placed. I assume it is
the line:

mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir

But I have not been able to get this to work at all.

Some say that one can change the /var/mail/%u directory to add:

<user-account-name (directory)>
   new
   mail
   cur

But I fail to see how it is that the maildir format is being
handled, by some converter program (LDA?) and if so, which
program is recommended, be it procmail/maildrop or is it
something else?  I am confused...

Dan