Dual monitor questions

Paolo Galtieri pgaltieri at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 19:42:18 UTC 2010

I have a video card with 2 connectors, one VGA and one DVI.  The primary
monitor is attached to the VGA connector and supports resolution up to
1920x1200.  The second monitor is much smaller and does not support
1920x1200. When I connect the second monitor to the DVI connector the top
and bottom Gnome panels shift to the DVI monitor, but the rest of the
desktop remains on the VGA monitor.  If I unplug the second monitor the
panels do not move back to the VGA monitor.  I can move from the primary
monitor to the second monitor by moving the mouse of the right edge so
everything seems to work fine, but it's confusing having part of the desktop
on one monitor and part on the other.

Is there anyway to force the Gnome panels to stay on the primary monitor and
not shift to the second monitor?

I'm running the F12 nouveau driver.

Trying to configure the primary monitor input as DVI failed with it
indicating no signal and connecting the second monitor to VGA resulted in it
indicating it did not support that resolution.

Paolo