Document Viewer can not open latest PDF?

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 31 01:47:41 UTC 2010

--- On Sat, 1/30/10, Marc Wilson <msw at cox.net> wrote:

> From: Marc Wilson <msw at cox.net>
> Subject: Re: Document Viewer can not open latest PDF?
> To: "Community support for Fedora users" <users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
> Date: Saturday, January 30, 2010, 4:41 PM
> On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 1:34 PM, Bill
> Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
> wrote:
>
> > That and putting in some hacked fork of cdrecord, I
> think it's called woeful,
> > instead of the real thing.
>
> No, that's a licensing problem.  CDRecord's license is
> incompatible
> with the GPL.
It became incompatible with Debian, and thus the GPL :(, nothing said here will change it :(

Fedora, OpenSuSE and others followed suit.  They made a choice and that was to include the replacement.  Like get a Pepsi (TM) instead of a Coke :)

> > In general things should appear under their real name
> > for purposes of knowing where the bugs are and what
> you're really using.
>
> No, in general the belief is that it's better for an
> application to
> appear as what it *does*, rather than what it *is*, so that
> stupid
> people are empowered.  People to whom it matters
> should know how to
> change it anyway.
>
> Not that I care about evince at all... that's what Adobe
> Reader is for.

Here Adobe Reader is *CLOSED SOURCE* and free alternatives like Evince and Okular are better for me IMHO.  I don't want to deal with proprietary software and it(Adobe Reader) is not like cdrecord(original).  Cdrecord(cdrtools) is opensource just like you mention, but GPL incompatible because of differences with the author and Debian's maintainers :(

> --

Best Regards,

Antonio