Getting on Internet with 13

John Clark bullcookies at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 03:08:12 UTC 2010

  On 6/30/2010 2:35 PM, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> On 06/29/2010 07:50 PM, John Clark wrote:
>>    I can't seem to get my browser/email to connect to Internet. In
>> terminal I can ping www.google.com to my hearts content but I can't
>> connect to it with Firefox. I have no hair to pull out and I don't want
>> to pull scalp. BTW, Ubuntu gets on just fine, out of the box, but I
>> can't stand Debian Linux.
>>
> Assuming you have a router and that Ubuntu works fine through the router:
> from a gnome terminal try:
> netstat -nr.
> Make sure the default route (0.0.0.0) is pointing at the correct
> interface (eg eth0).
> Check your name servers (cat /etc/resolv.conf).
> Since you can ping, you should be ok, but sometimes these steps will
> show you what the problem is.
> Make sure your browser is not trying to connect through a proxy server.
>
> Minor misconfigurations can cause some interesting problems (such as my
> Thunderbird issues and I should have known better).
>
> Again, use telnet (as said previously) to make sure your firewall is not
> blocking outbound ports 80 or 25.
>
> [gaf at rosetta ~]$ telnet www.google.com 80
> Trying 72.14.204.99...
> Connected to www.google.com (72.14.204.99).
> Escape character is '^]'.
> ^]
> telnet>  quit
> Connection closed.

I cannot telnet out,
'cat /etc/resolv.conf' yields

nameserver 192.168.1.254
#Generated by NetworkManager
domain home
search home

and  'netstat -nr' yields

Kernel IP routing table
Destination    Gateway        Genmask            Flags    MSS
Window        Irtt    Iface
192.168.0.0    0.0.0.0           255.255.255.0    U            0
     0                0    eth0
0.0.0.0            192.068.0.1   0.0.0.0                  UG        0
         0                 0    eth0

also, the upgrades work too.