F-13 printing problems -

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jul 2 03:21:12 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-07-01 at 12:07 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> I believe the Macs also use cups for printing. My internet
> connection with the hurricane disturbing the path at the Texas
> end made my crossword printing effort too difficult to evaluate
> performance this morning. But only my three printers showed up
> in the Firefox print menu this morning, don't know why it is
> different than yesterday but I must have done something? Cups
> still shows all the printer entries but not the system addresses
> for the Macs. Apparently those only show up when they are turned
> on? I will have to look into that. Everyone is out of the house
> and the other boxes are shut off presently.

Unless you hand configure adding a printer, CUPS finds available
printers, and lists what it finds.  If it's not there, it's not going to
be listed.

"Available printers" would be printers that advertise themselves in a
way that CUPS knows about.  Or, other CUPS servers that publish printers
that they have.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686