nscd cacher problem

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 06:06:31 UTC 2010

  On 07/01/2010 11:45 AM, JD wrote:
>  On 07/01/2010 11:38 AM, Jurek Bajor wrote:
>>    On 07/01/2010 10:42 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
>>> Unfortunately, enabling or disabling IPV6 doesn't seem to have
>>> much to do with the library doing V6 DNS lookups. I could
>>> swear there was something added to nsswitch.conf or resolv.conf
>>> that you could set to disable v6 dns requests, but I can't
>>> remember what it was called.
>>> I run bind as a caching nameserver, forwarding lookups to my
>>> ISP's server and set the -4 option on the command line to
>>> make it stick to ipv4 and all my DNS lookup problems vanished.
>>>>   bind is too complex to run and maintain.
>>>>   Really, it is a huge overkill for what I need.
>>>>   I hope nscd authors will fix it soon so it does not
>>>>   purge it's cache every few seconds. I check'ed it's
>>>>   config file and the
>>>>   restart-interval        3600
>>>>   seems reasonable.
>> Hi,
>> I think that the default "restart-interval        3600", that is 3600
>> secs = 1hr,
>> is a low/impractical value. I mean you want to keep your cache for 
>> much longer,
>> perhaps a week or more ... It is why one wanted it in the first place.
>> Btw, there is a very good alternative (to BIND, etc) for DNS caching, 
>> namely
>> dnsmasq package. It is simpler, easier on resources.
>> I switched from bind to it and it serves me well.
>> It is part of F13, used in other distros (Slackware, etc).
>>> yum info dnsmasq
>> Jurek
> I had used dnsmasq, but it also suffered from the same problem I am 
> having with nscd.
> I will try to set the interval to a longer time and see if that helps.
> Cheers,
> JD
Well, I have found that setting the interval to a longer time does 
indeed help a lot!
However, the behavior of Firefox in resolving URL's  is still strange!
If I click on a link, firefox spends almost a full minute to resolve the 
so while it is waiting (spinning), I use the gnome terminal to
nslookup whatever-domain-it-was.com
and it resolves it in less than a second. I look at firefox, and it is 
still trying to resolve!!
Firefox seems to use some other way to resolve the url's domain - the 
painfully slow way!!
Firefox has no config means of telling it how to resolve - so I'm at a 
loss as to it's behavior.


More information about the users mailing list