Who switches vterms when?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 13:43:15 UTC 2010

I turn off rhgb so I can (maybe) see who was doing what
if the system hangs during startup or shutdown. The
startup part works fine, but someone, somewhere, insists
on switching to a totally blank vterm when I'm
doing a shutdown, so I can't see any of the messages
from services stopping, etc.

Does anyone know who is in charge of doing this switch?
Is it whatever login manager I'm using (gdm or kdm)?
Is it the X server itself? Is it plymouth?

I'm just wondering what code to look at to see if I
can maybe send in a patch to make it behave more sanely
with rhgb disabled.