nscd cacher problem

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 17:51:56 UTC 2010

  On 07/03/2010 04:04 AM, Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-07-02 at 23:06 -0700, JD wrote:
>> I use the gnome terminal to nslookup whatever-domain-it-was.com
>> and it resolves it in less than a second. I look at firefox, and it is
>> still trying to resolve!! Firefox seems to use some other way to
>> resolve the url's domain - the painfully slow way!!
> Two things spring to mind:
>
> Does the browser go through a proxy?  If so, that proxy will do the
> resolving.
>
> Are you using the Firefox features to check for bad websites?

Only add-on which checks for bad web sites is RequestPolicy
which checks for cross-site request forgery.
However, it is disabled!!
And no, I am not using a proxy.

Also, FF seems to use a single socket file descriptor for all the FF
windows and tabs.
The side effect of it is that when you hit a sluggish site, then all
windows/tabs are unavailable.
If you switch to another FF window, you see same image of previous
window overlaid on every
other FF window.
I had suggested to FF people to spawn a separate thread for each tab and
let each tab open
it's own private socket, so it will not tie up other tabs.
It fell on deaf ears!