A virus scanner on linux for windows partition

Thomas Taylor linxt at comcast.net
Sun Jul 4 07:37:49 UTC 2010

On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 21:49:52 -0700
JD <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:

>   I came across an article that mentioned some viruses
> that can hide and move around on a booted windows
> machine, and can evade virus scanner.
> So, I thought that is the windows partition can be scanned
> by another booted OS like linux it would make it impossible
> for the virus to evade detection and quarantine.
> Is there such a scanner than can be run from Linux?

Hi JD;

Haven't actually tried it but if it's a dual boot or the windows partition is
mountable, any virus scanner running on linux should be able to check it.
Don't know if it would meet your needs but BitDefender for unices is free for
non-commercial use.  My wife runs the windows version on her win7 desktop and
it seems to work quite well (course ya gotta pay for that one).

Tom

--
Tom Taylor - retired penguin
openSuSE 11.3-RC1 x86_64