Bug in mailing lists; unfriendly to non-subscribers

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 13:23:17 UTC 2010

On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 08:57:48 -0400
Chris Tyler wrote:

> a process that takes a few seconds

I understand the need to subscribe, but the process does
not take a few seconds. For one thing, a lot of ISPs
seem to be blocked or are blocking replies (you can't ever
tell which one), so you have to try different mail
accounts till you find one that actually works both ways,
and not knowing how long it might take to get a reply,
it can take a while to decide the first address you used
isn't going to work.

I don't think any of the fedora list do this, but I've also
run into software where the readme files explicitly say things like
"report bugs or problems to list XXX", then when you try to use
the advertised list address it says you have to subscribe.
That's usually when I decide they didn't really want my bug
report after all.