Bug in mailing lists; unfriendly to non-subscribers

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 06:05:33 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 11:43 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 05, 2010 at 15:29:44 -0400,
>  Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> It is much less problematic for "reply" to reply to the list,
>> especially if changing that behavior is solely meant to help those who
>> don't want to subscribe to it...
>
> Typically accidentally sending a message intended for a single person to a
> list by mistake has a higher cost than do the reverse. Depending on the
> ratio of the two mistakes for a given group it may make sense to do reply
> munging.

When Reply-To munging is off; it's easy from the MUA to choose between
single reply, and reply to all. When it's on, then *all* the mail goes
to the mailing list by default.

So if anything, Reply-To munging would cause more private mail go to
the mailing list (i.e. I typed 'r' in mutt, not 'g', but the mail went
to the ml!)

--
Felipe Contreras