Bug in mailing lists; unfriendly to non-subscribers

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Tue Jul 6 15:09:02 UTC 2010

Felipe Contreras wrote:
>> Prior to today the list was set to discard posts from non-members.
>> This setting was made before any of the current list admins were
>> present AFAIK.  I believe that sending a rejection is the more
>> courteous setting, and we have changed this now.
>
> Yes, that's better. Thanks.

Sorry to flip-flop, but we found in testing that Mailman (quite
unfortunately) includes the original message in the rejection notice.
This makes it a very nice spam forwarding system.  So back to discard
the setting goes. :(

I did add a note to the listinfo page stating that subscription is
required to post.

It is impossible to enjoy idling thoroughly unless one has plenty of
work to do.
    -- Jerome K. Jerome