Bug in mailing lists; unfriendly to non-subscribers

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 09:44:43 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 22:24 +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>> Anyway, if non-subscribers are not welcome, then I guess I'll just
>> refrain from posting here just like everybody else, even when I'm
>> asked to do it on Fedora's bugzilla.
>
> Ah, so the hundreds of people who regularly contribute here are all a
> figment of my imagination?

I said everybody *else*; nobody knows the amount of people that have
wanted to contact Fedora mailing list and have decided not to.

> One point that hasn't been mentioned: Fedora is an *experimental*
> distro. The people using are are assumed to know that and to be up to
> communicating about problems and solutions. If you only want to post a
> single question and don't monitor the list on a regular basis, I have to
> ask if you should really be using Fedora at all. I regard that as
> sufficient justification for the must-subscribe policy.

You assume that people would use Fedora mailing lists only for
questions; that's not always the case. There are people out there that
know what they are doing, and have good ideas about what a distro
should do.

But somehow it seems nobody here believes Fedora's community can
benefit from outsiders.

--
Felipe Contreras