Bug in mailing lists; unfriendly to non-subscribers

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Wed Jul 7 17:30:27 UTC 2010

Tom H wrote:
> You (Todd) and others have the following:
> from	Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras at gmail.com>
> reply-to	Community support for Fedora users <users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
> to	Community support for Fedora users <users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
> date	Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 6:10 AM
> subject	Re: Bug in mailing lists; unfriendly to non-subscribers
> mailing list	users.lists.fedoraproject.org Filter messages from this
> mailing list
> mailed-by	lists.fedoraproject.org
> unsubscribe	Unsubscribe from this mailing-list
>
> and hitting reply results in having the following in the to: field
> Community support for Fedora users <users at lists.fedoraproject.org>,
> users at lists.fedoraproject.org
>
> For Felipe, it is:
> from	Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras at gmail.com>
> reply-to	Community support for Fedora users <users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
> to	Community support for Fedora users <users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
> date	Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 8:44 AM
> subject	Re: Bug in mailing lists; unfriendly to non-subscribers
> mailing list	users.lists.fedoraproject.org Filter messages from this
> mailing list
> mailed-by	lists.fedoraproject.org
> unsubscribe	Unsubscribe from this mailing-list
>
> and
> Community support for Fedora users <users at lists.fedoraproject.org>

It might be gmail doing this to you.  The reply-to and from fields
don't match exactly, so perhaps they're "helpfully" addressing the
mail to both.  My MUA (mutt) doesn't do this no matter how I reply
(list-reply, reply, or reply-all).

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to
pause and reflect.
    -- Mark Twain