The quietness of preupgrade

Robert Myers rbmyersusa at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 03:24:27 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 11:12 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan at gmail.com>wrote:

> It depends on what you mean by "hung". If we're talking about "in an
> unforeseen state caused by a bug" then of course the HT prevents
> detecting this reliably. However in this case I think the OP means
> something more ordinary, "not finished yet because there's a lot to do".
> This doesn't prevent giving a meaningful progress report.

If you think you know what you are talking about, perhaps you would consider
a fixed-fee contract on a perpetual motion machine.

>From a practical point of view, all possible states of a program cannot be
examined and tested.  If you want to think of some extreme state (the
assumed hardware gives misleading answers, for example) as a "bug," so be
it, but I wouldn't be hiring you to manage anything.

Robert.