The quietness of preupgrade

Robert Myers rbmyersusa at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 03:39:15 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 11:33 PM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:

> On 07/08/2010 11:24 AM, Robert Myers wrote:
> > If you think you know what you are talking about, perhaps you would
> > consider a fixed-fee contract on a perpetual motion machine.
> >
> > From a practical point of view, all possible states of a program
> > cannot be examined and tested.  If you want to think of some extreme
> > state (the assumed hardware gives misleading answers, for example) as
> > a "bug," so be it, but I wouldn't be hiring you to manage anything.
>

> I hope you realize that you lose a lot of credibility when you stray
> from discussing technical matters to sarcasm in order to debase a fellow
> poster.

A veteran of many Internet wars, I am long past worrying about what people
think of my "tone."

Someone will *always* find a reason to take exception.

As to self-righteousness, I deal with that on lists that address theology.
 It's a big no-no, but my telling you so makes *me* self-righteous.  Finding
a way out of that trap is roughly like violating the Halting Theorem..  If
you don't want people pointing fingers at you, then don't point fingers.

Robert.