Fedora 13 - Shutdown works, but Restart Freezes??

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Thu Jul 8 22:09:38 UTC 2010

Date sent:	Thu, 8 Jul 2010 15:18:34 -0600
From:	Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com>
To:	users at lists.fedoraproject.org
Subject:	Re: Fedora 13 - Shutdown works, but Restart Freezes??
Organization:	Scrye
Send reply to:	Community support for Fedora users <users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
	<mailto:users-request at lists.fedoraproject.org?subject=subscribe>

> On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 14:02:51 -0700
> "Michael D. Setzer II" <mikes at kuentos.guam.net> wrote:
>
> > I installed Fedora 13 on a Gateway E2000 and have found that
> > restart/reboot freezes, but a shutdown does a full power down
> > correctly.
> >
> > By default goes to the graphical screen, the same for both, but with
> > shutdown, it says shutting down and then powers off. The restart
> > shows the restarting message, but then stops responding. No keyboard
> > lights change, no CTRL-ALT-DEL, nothing. Only a forced power off gets
> > the machine going.
> >
> > Tried it from a terminal window same results.
> > Tried reboot -f same results.
> > Even loaded busybox and used busybox reboot -f
> >
> > Don't see anything in the log files...
> >
> > It doesn't come up with an error on the reboot, so it seems to be
> > shutting down correctly, but just not doing the final reboot process.
>
> Try the suggestions at:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelCommonProblems#System_hangs_on_reboot

The reboot=b seems to fix the problem, but the reboot option seems to work
just fine with all the kernels I've built for my g4l project from kernel.org on the
same machine, so why does the Fedora kernel do this?

Thanks.

> kevin

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI         9763292.210122   |   EINSTEIN     4142549.740851
ROSETTA      2027290.462519   |   ABC          1443090.360569