Problem with tarring out a tar file

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 22:35:48 UTC 2010

  Hi,
I had downloaded a zip file under windows and unzipped it.
No problems.
The file names in the zipped archive are long german names, so
they are displayed with special chars embedded in the file names
and directory names, like
Barrè
Mächter
among others.

So I tarred out the whole directory into a tar file.
Later I moved that tar file to another mounted partition.
I cd'ed to the mounted partition and tried to untar it:
tar xpvf my-tar-ball.tar

For every file in the tarball, tar outputs the message
<.....long.......file........name>:  No such file or directory.

Any clues why this is happening?

Thanx,

JD