Problem with tarring out a tar file

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 00:39:02 UTC 2010

  On 07/08/2010 05:25 PM, Les wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 16:13 -0700, jack craig wrote:
>> On 07/08/2010 03:35 PM, JD wrote:
>>>     Hi,
>>> I had downloaded a zip file under windows and unzipped it.
>>> No problems.
>>> The file names in the zipped archive are long german names, so
>>> they are displayed with special chars embedded in the file names
>>> and directory names, like
>>> Barrè
>>> Mächter
>>> among others.
>>>
>>> So I tarred out the whole directory into a tar file.
>>> Later I moved that tar file to another mounted partition.
>>> I cd'ed to the mounted partition and tried to untar it:
>>> tar xpvf my-tar-ball.tar
>>>
>>> For every file in the tarball, tar outputs the message
>>> <.....long.......file........name>:  No such file or directory.
>>>
>>> Any clues why this is happening?
>>>
>>> Thanx,
>>>
>>> JD
>>>

>> what does
>>
>> $tar tvf my-tar-ball.tar
>>
>> say
> You might also check the file system type you moved it to.  If you moved
> it to a FAT16 or FAT32 volume, you might not have gotten all the file as
> FAT16 has a 2G file size limitation.  Don't know FAT32 restriction, but
> I suspect it is larger, but still might not hold your tar-ball.
>
> Regards,
> Les H

The files themselves are only a few (2 to 8) megabytes each.
So I do not believe it is the file size.
Perhaps there are some unprintable characters in the file
names or directory names that is preventing tar from creating
such files or directories.
At any rate - thanx to all who replied.
I will leave it on the windows ntfs partition.