The quietness of preupgrade

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Fri Jul 9 13:43:20 UTC 2010

Robert Myers wrote:

>> Have you actually used preupgrade yourself?
>> If so, what was the length (approximately) of the longest pause
>> you experienced?

> I have used preupgrade multiple times on multiple boxes.

Then perhaps you can answer my question -
roughly how long is the longest pause you experience?
Also, if there are any pauses, where do they occur?

> I also just
> installed a bunch of other software that involves long downloads and
> installs.

I would compare preupgrade with other ways of installing Fedora.
I don't experience any long pauses with any other of the several methods
I have used (PXEboot, USBstick, hard disk install, etc).
All seem to keep me quite well informed about what is going on.
Is there some reason why preupgrade should be different?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net