Problems when creating Live-boot usb stick

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 04:03:35 UTC 2010

  On 07/09/2010 08:06 PM, fred smith wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 11:22:26AM +0900, Abu Attar Musharih wrote:
>>> Back to my main subject,  I tried  "livecd-iso-to-disk" for creating a
>>> live-boot stick.
>>> It did not work on my FC7, a couple of packages are missing
>>> (checkisomd5 and udevadm).
>> Can anyone let me know which package to download so the  two commands
>> available?
>> I searched the reps of FC7 and did not find any clue. It is good to
>> have the persistent overlay setting.
>>
>>> dd if=Fedora-13-i686-Live.iso of=/dev/sdb1
>>> 1382400+0 records in
>>> 1382400+0 records out
>>> 707788800 bytes (708 MB) copied, 589.826 s, 1.2 MB/s
>>> Last step,  just need to "chown" the mount point for the media to be  writeable.
>>>
>>> root>  chown username /media/disk/
>> As shown above, the live-boot-stick is in the first partition which I
>> can not make any change
>> as it is created by the dd command.  I am curious how to change  the
>> read only file system to be writeable.
>> Thanks for any  the response.
> As I said earlier, you could do what I did a couple months back:
> boot up the live CD, and do an install with the usb stick as your
> target drive. that gives you a normal fedora that boots from usb
> with no writing restrictions, unlike the live-on-usb mechanism does.
> I used an 8 Gb stick... someone said it won't install on a 4GB stick
> since it isn't really quite 4 Gigs, and the live-cd installer wants
> a min of 4 gigs.
>
> I, being paranoid, disconnected the hard drives before doing that just
> to make sure I didn't accidentlly install over what was already on them.
> (having accidentally formatted my 500 GB usb drive that was the backup
> of some important stuff, a few months ago, when I MEANT to format a
> usb flash stick.)

If the purpose of putting a distro CD/DVD on a usb stick is to have
a very tiny portable installation medim, then installing F13 onto the usb
stick as you would on a normal drive would defeat the aforementioned
purpose.
That said, I have done both: I have installed the DVD media onto
USB for the purpose of having a tiny and portable linux,
and I have also used  liveusb-creator-3.9.2-1.fc13.noarch
which lets me choose the iso to install onto the usb media.
That has helped me install it on friends' machines when they
had no internet available,

Since you will have a lot of problems doing this on FC7,
I suggest you upgrade to F13 and install liveusb-creator-3.9.2-1.fc13.noarch