/sbin/init Initrd

Emilio Fernandes emiliosf at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 15:03:50 UTC 2010

Ty foi reply,

but i need the source code of /sbin/init of initrd.img.
Becase on fedora 8 it is a binary instead of fedora 13 is a shell script.
when i unpack the initrd.img from fedora 8 CD, i cant modify the init
script.
And now i need to modify this binary to create custom rules on init.
I having problems becase when i boot the fedora 8 on a intel i3 with a sata
Cdrom
he can't find the cdrom:/ks8.cfg, the only message of error is:
Cannot find CDROM.
I belive its a kernel issue, and now i add a new kernel to initrd and need
to customize
some rules on /sbin/init binary of fedora 8 initrd.img.

Sorry my poor english..

2010/7/10 Chris Tyler <chris at tylers.info>

> On Sat, 2010-07-10 at 10:43 -0300, Emilio Fernandes wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > where can i get the source code of /sbin/initrd from fedora 11?
> >

> Assuming you're on the system for which you want the source, the RPM
> command will tell you which package a file came from (this example is
> executed on F13):
>
> $ rpm -qf /sbin/init
> upstart-0.6.5-5.fc13.i686
>
> If you add -i you can see some basic information, including the URL of
> the upstream site and the license:
>
> $ rpm -qif /sbin/init
> Name        : upstart                      Relocations: (not
> relocatable)
> Version     : 0.6.5                             Vendor: Fedora Project
> Release     : 5.fc13                        Build Date: Tue 04 May 2010
> 04:31:02 PM EDT
> Install Date: Sat 03 Jul 2010 11:13:34 PM EDT      Build Host:
> x86-01.phx2.fedoraproject.org
> Group       : System Environment/Base       Source RPM:
> upstart-0.6.5-5.fc13.src.rpm
> Size        : 512748                           License: GPLv2 and LGPLv2
> +
> Signature   : RSA/SHA256, Wed 05 May 2010 02:23:59 AM EDT, Key ID
> 7edc6ad6e8e40fde
> Packager    : Fedora Project
> URL         : http://upstart.ubuntu.com
> Summary     : An event-driven init system
> Description :
> Upstart is an event-based replacement for the /sbin/init daemon which
> handles starting of tasks and services during boot, stopping them
> during shutdown and supervising them while the system is running.
>
> You can use yumdownloader (from the yum-utils package) to grab the
> source RPM for a package:
>
> $ yumdownloader --source upstart
>
> This grabs the source RPM (e.g., for F13: upstart-0.6.5-5.fc13.src.rpm).
>
> To work with source RPMS, it's recommended that you install rpmdevtools
> and run "rpmdev-setuptree". You can then install (using your regular
> account, not root) the source rpm:
>
> $ rpm -i upstart*src.rpm
>
> The files will install into ~/rpmbuild -- look in the SOURCES directory
> for the source code and the ~/SPECS directory for the spec file
> (packaging).
>
> Hope this helps--
>
> -Chris
>
> --

Emilio Seidel Fernandes
Tec. Desenvolvimento de Sistemas Distribuídos - UTFPR Curitiba