[SOLVED] Re: cannot boot from USB stick using boot.iso

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 03:25:06 UTC 2010

On 10-07-10 11:00 PM, H.S. wrote:
> On 10/07/10 10:50 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>>
>> I would expect the dd to work fine. Does your bios have a choice of
>> booting from usb-cdrom and usb-hd? Have you tried both settings?
>
> Just yesterday I installed Debian from its netinstall image. I just
> dd'ed it my USB stick and then booted the computer with the USB stick
> plugged in. The computer picked the OS (but there was no other OS on the
> computer's hard disk at them, of course). I am expecting the same thing
> to happen now as well. In fact, it does, since if I use the Debian USB
> stick, I get the computer to boot from that (a "removabel device" is the
> first boot device), so the problem lies with the Fedora USB stick somewhere.

I downloaded Fedora 13's Live iso image and burned it on another USB
stick. That also failed to boot my computer (or my computer did not see
it). I then tried that USB stick on another computer, but that computer
booted off the stick as expected! So it my own computer that was at
fault (at least in Live USB stick's case). My computer has a brand new
motherboard and as I wrote above, booting from a USB stick worked when
the hard drive was virgin. It turns out that when there is an OS I have
to boot from a Boot Menu during the boot process. Choosing that menu
gave me the options to boot from, I selected USB and got Fedora's boot
menu from Live image.

Next, I tried with boot.iso and that worked too!

In other words, just fixing the boot order in BIOS of my mobo with the
removable device as the first option doesn't work, I must choose the USB
device from a Boot Menu (have to press F8 during boot).

So it was my fault in the sense that I wasn't aware of how my new
motherboard worked. Sorry for all the noise.