F12 -> F13. Preupgrade Error

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Jul 12 02:10:34 UTC 2010

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 17:03:42 +0100
Dave Cross <davorg at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to use preupgrade to upgrade my Dell Studio XPS from Fedora
> 12 to Fedora 13.
>
> It got through the bit where it downloads all of the required data
> from the internet and prompts me to reboot the PC.
>
> I reboot the PC and select "upgrade to Goddard" from the grub menu.
>
> After a while, I then get the message:
>
> "Unable to find any device of the type needed for this installation
> type. Would you like to manually select your driver or use a driver
> disk."
>
> There's an option to choose a driver from a list. But the list as huge
> and seems to contain entries for all sorts of drivers - network cards,
> storage devices, probably others - I don't know what I should be
> choosing.
>
> Can anyone suggest what might be going wrong here? And what I can do
> to fix it.

Odd. What kind of free space is on /boot on your system?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PreUpgrade has some tips for if you are low on space.
Some older versions of preupgrade didn't notify you that there was not
quite enough space, and you needed to have a wired connection after
booting into the upgrader to finish things.

kevin