F12 -> F13. Preupgrade Error

Norman Gaywood ngaywood at une.edu.au
Mon Jul 12 02:31:29 UTC 2010

On 12 July 2010 02:03, Dave Cross <davorg at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to use preupgrade to upgrade my Dell Studio XPS from Fedora
> 12 to Fedora 13.
>
> It got through the bit where it downloads all of the required data
> from the internet and prompts me to reboot the PC.
>
> I reboot the PC and select "upgrade to Goddard" from the grub menu.
>
> After a while, I then get the message:
>
> "Unable to find any device of the type needed for this installation
> type. Would you like to manually select your driver or use a driver
> disk."

I had this a few hours ago. With me it was a problem with the
/etc/grub.conf entry created for the upgrade. There was a space
missing after the '..cfg' in the kernel line.

I booted my old kernel, inserted the space in /etc/grub.conf and
rebooted into the upgrade to Goddard. The upgrade then worked without
me doing anything else.

--
Norman Gaywood, Computer Systems Officer
University of New England, Armidale,

ngaywood at une.edu.au            Phone: +61 (0)2 6773 3337
http://mcs.une.edu.au/~norm    Fax:   +61 (0)2 6773 3312

Please avoid sending me Word or Power Point attachments.