sshd Authentication refused

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Jul 13 18:43:22 UTC 2010

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 11:16:46 -0700 (PDT)
David Highley <dhighley at highley-recommended.com> wrote:

> New install of Fedora 13 we get the following /var/log/secure entry
> when we ssh from a Fedora 12 system to the Fedora 13 system:
> Authentication refused: bad ownership or modes for
> file /home/dhighley/.ssh/authorized_keys
>
> We have checked and tried different modes until we are blue in the
> face. Have read the upates notes for openssh and Fedora 13 release.
> Googled the net for know issues and bugzilla.redhat.com. We did check
> for selinux blocks and found none.
>
> User home directory is auto NFS mounted and we use NIS. This works
> Fedora 12 to Fedora 12.

You may want to use 'ssh-copy-id' to copy the key over to the f13
system. That will setup the right permissions and such automatically
for you.

Also, you will want to see if there are any selinux alerts on the f13
machine. 'ausearch -m avc -ts today' can list the ones from today.

kevin