DVD writing oddity

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Jul 13 20:01:22 UTC 2010

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> I have a shell script that I've been using for years to burn ISO
> images.  I just tried it with Fedora 13, and it acted up in an odd
> way.
>
> It burnt a DVD+R with this command:
>   growisofs -Z /dev/cdrw=/mnt/space-1500/tmp/08mythburn.iso -use-the-force-luke=notray -use-the-force-luke=dao

Don't you love long cute command options? The author thought this was cute. and
it's probably been that way since Darth Vader was a cadet. I note that sdparm
wants something like like --i-swear-to-god-i-know-what-i-am-doing because some
things are dangerous. I assume anything that requires root is dangerous.

Recompiled them to use --dwis instead.

As to your problem, I think it's a buffering issue. I use isoinfo to get the
size of the image I'm burning, and read it with dd in 2k (CD) or 32k (DVD)
buffer size to match the sector size. That goes into md5sum for the compare.

* dwis - do what I say

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>